Thursday 26 February 2009

Pool and Poisoning, Salta

Salta is a place I imagine to ooze mystery and magic. My visions of colonial architecture, Inca history and a backdrop of the Lerma Valley have fuelled my flight of fancy. It is a city I am looking forward to spending time, and after 23 hours on a bus from Mendoza, I am more than thrilled to arrive.....

To be fair, the bus journey is very comfortable. The film Revolutionary Road (2008) is played late in the journey, after meals and bingo (really!). Predictably it tickles my emotional side; tears run down my face under the spotlight of the nightlamp and the deadpan bus-attendant unexpectedly pats my head as he passes by. 

Adam and I spend the first day in Salta looking at the major attractions. The most fascinating of which is the Museum of High Altitude Archaeology (MAAM) where we learn about (and view) the remains of the Llullaillaco Children who are sensitively housed inside the exhibition. There is an energetic and bustling feel around the city, the streets are much narrower than those in Mendoza. In the afternoon the city is deserted (siesta-time!), leaving a much better view of the beautiful buildings and diverse styles of doors. 

There are many interpretations of the meaning of the name, Salta; an Indian tribal name "Saltas"; or "salla ta" meaning "crag-place"; or "sagtay", in quechua "meeting of the outstanding", or, the preferred meaning, "sagta", "very beautiful" in the language aymara.

Neoclassical Cathedral, Salta
9th of July Plaza, centre of city
Mitre Street, main Plaza 
Cabildo, formerly Town Hall (now museum)
Courtyard of the Cabildo
View from the Cabildo
Museum of Contemporary Art
Signature piece from the gallery
Lerma Valley  surrounding Salta

Gondola trip above the city (to San Bernardo hill)

The city of Salta
Jesus looks after the city from above

Over the course of the evening and into the wee-small hours, we win the doubles pool championship at Corre Caminos hostel (if only we had played for pesos!). Great bunch of people, lots of laughing.
Team 'River-Eira' (i.e. Elaine & Adam) win the Pool Championships!!
Adam, Hayley (Canada), James (Canada), Scarlett (US) and Johnny (N.Irish)


Unfortunately, that is where the pleasantries end. Next, I am violently struck down with food poisoning. The doctor is called, medicines and injections administered, days pass and I remain in my bed seeing none of the magic I had so clearly imagined. 

At the time of writing, I am recovering slowly, able to consume nothing more than water mixed with rehydration salts.......

No comments:

Post a Comment