Wednesday 24 December 2008

Lough Gill, Co. Sligo & Co. Leitrim


Before setting off to Argentina on the 28th of December, I am spending a few days at home in Sligo, north-western Ireland. 

Making the most of the dry weather and scenic countryside, we set out towards Lough Gill and Parke's Castle, and on to to Fivemilebourne. This is the area where I spent the happiest days of my childhood - wandering the hills with my loyal companion, Henry (an Irish Red Setter). For me, this landscape represents freedom - from all constraints throughout my life. A place of retreat.

We set out along the R286

Parke's Castle
My Mother, and fellow wanderer





The house where my Grandfather was born, where my Mum and her siblings were reared, and where I spent a great deal of time as a child. The veneer of the house has changed significantly since the new owners took over. I can honestly say this is the only building in the world that I feel somewhat attached to...

The new residents
Lough Doon, near our family home
  We loop back down to Lough Gill and admire the everchanging view...


Lough Gill - inspiration for W.B.Yeats and the location of  the Lake Isle of Innisfree


Cloths of Heaven
Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

-W.B.Yeats

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas and New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Glad we were able to do this lovely walk together and that there is a lovely record of it. Ana

    ReplyDelete